Student Volunteer Program
ECOOP is pleased to offer a number of opportunities for student volunteers, who are vital to the efficient operation and continued success of the conference each year. The student volunteer program is a chance for students from around the world to participate in the conference whilst assisting us in preparing and running the event. We strongly encourage students to become involved in the ECOOP student volunteer program.
Description and Benefits
Job assignments include assisting with technical sessions, workshops, tutorials and panels, checking badges at doors, operating the information desk, helping with traffic flow, and general assistance to keep the ECOOP running smoothly.
In return for a few hours of their time, student volunteers are granted:
- Free registration to the conference
- Free access to ECOOP plenary sessions, tutorials, workshops, and demos (duties, space, and specific requirements permitting)
Student volunteers should be in Paphos two days before the conference—that is from July 5th, and help with preparations and with the conference take-down on July 11th.
The selection of student volunteers and plan assignment is NOT done on a first come, first served basis. The most important thing is to have an international group of student volunteers. We try to make a balanced decision. Also, we favor students with strong communication skills: being fluent in English is a must.
Important Dates and Information
2008-04-01: application deadline for student volunteers
2008-04-21: notification of acceptance
2008-06-01: tasks and schedule assignation
Applicants must be Masters students or full-time Ph.D. students. They should send an e-mail to Tobias Wrigstad with the subject "ECOOP SV", containing the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- Number of years in a Master or Ph.D. program
- Group / Department / University
- Complete contact information (surface mail)
- If you have a driver's license (not necessary)
- Languages spoken (at least) fairly well (fairly well means they could survive well in a country speaking this language only; students with TOEFL/TOEIC/DELF-DALF/TCF/TEF/TFI certificates should include their scores).
- A short paragraph motivating their application (including possible past experience as a student volunteer) and clarifying their need for financial support with respect to travel and accommodation.
- Supervisor's(s') name(s) and e-mail addresse(s). Supervisors may be contacted to confirm applicants' suitability.
Accommodation and Travel Expenses
We will be doing our best to help students find good and cheap accommodation. Sadly, covering the costs of accommodation and travel expenses is not in our budget.
Questions and Comments
If you have any further questions about volunteering, please feel
free to contact Tobias